What is the Conference of College Teachers of English?
Founded in 1933 at the University of Texas, CCTE is a statewide organization of English teachers in Texas universities and colleges. Its purpose is twofold:
- to improve teaching
- to advance research in English language and literature
CCTE works closely with the Texas College English Association (TCEA), an affiliate of the national College English Association. TCEA provides several sessions for the annual spring conference of CCTE, and the prize-winning TCEA paper is honored with publication in CCTE Studies. TCEA also presents the Joe D. Thomas CEA Outstanding Service Award to an outstanding colleague each year.
How can CCTE help you?
- Professional networking
- Spring conference — convenient, affordable, exciting. Explore a different conference city each year. Enjoy the comradeship of fellow teacher-scholars. Listen to great guest speakers. Present a paper or give a reading. Carry home great ideas on research, creative writing, rhetoric, pedagogy, and popular culture.
- CCTE Studies, our peer-reviewed scholarly journal. Publishes the best conference papers by CCTE members plus the prize-winning TCEA paper. Your subscription is part of your membership.
- Cash prizes for the best conference papers in 10 categories.
- Recognition for our most valuable colleagues with the Dr. Frances Hernández Teacher-Scholar Award.